Sunday, September 12, 2010

Reading List

My goal is to read or reread at least 25 books by the end of summer. I might write reviews or reflections on some of these books. Wish me luck!

Finished
1) The Year of the Flood - Margaret Atwood (Jun. 28 - 30)
2) Fun Home: A Family Tragicomic - Alison Bechdel (Jul. 1 - 4)
3) A Wizard of Earthsea - Ursula K. Le Guin (Jul. 5 - 9)
4) Oryx and Crake - Margaret Atwood (Jul. 9 - 12)
5) Watchmen - Alan Moore (Jul. 12 - 15)
6) Who Do You Think You Are? - Alice Munro (Jul. 16 - 21)
7) Intuition - Allegra Goodman (Jul. 22 - 28)
8) The Robber Bride - Margaret Atwood (Jul. 28 - Aug. 2)
9) The Color Purple - Alice Walker (Aug. 7 - 9) 
10) Cathedral - Raymond Carver (Aug 17 - 20)
11) Morning in the Burned House - Margaret Atwood poetry (Finished Aug. 21)
12) Troll: A Love Story - Johanna Sinisalo (Aug. 29 - 30)

Reading
My Family and Other Animals - Gerry Durrell
Selected Poems - e. e. cummings, edited by Richard S. Kennedy
Negotiating with the Dead: A Writer on Writing - Margaret Atwood
Ariel - Sylvia Plath

Want to Read
The Bell Jar - Sylvia Plath
Moral Disorder - Margaret Atwood
Such a Long Journey - Rohinton Mistry
Pride and Prejudice - Jane Austen
His Dark Materials trilogy - Philip Pullman
The Left Hand of Darkness - Ursula K. Le Guin
Lord of the Rings trilogy - J. R. R. Tolkien
The Call of the Wild - Jack London
Hamlet/Macbeth - Shakespeare
The Solitude of Prime Numbers - Paolo Giordano
Middlesex - Jeffrey Eugenides
What We All Long For - Dionne Brand
Downtown Canada: Writing Canadian Cities - Justin D. Edwards, Douglas Ivison (editors)


Books that I have started, but am taking an indefinite break on
Atonement - Ian McEwan
Close Range - Annie Proulx

Short Stories/Pieces that I want to read
"The Dead" - James Joyce
"A Field of Wheat" - Sinclair Ross
"The Second Strongest Man" - David Bezmozgis
"Wedding Gift" - Thomas Randall
"Bread" - Michael Crummey
Descarte's Discourse

3 comments:

  1. To read: The Arctic Event - Robert Ludlum

    ReplyDelete
  2. Middlesex is a good read. I read The Left Hand of Darkness for my Science Fiction class last year, it was interesting but a bit dry at times. Watchmen the comic book and movie are great. I love Jack London.

    Off the top of my head, I think you would enjoy:
    - Funny Boy by Shyam Selvaduri
    - The Front Runner by Patricia Nell Warren
    - Dream Boy by Jim Grimsley (if you like sad endings, but definitely one of my favourites)
    - Maurice by E.M. Forster

    I'm currently working through the Sword of Truth series (fantasy stuff xD)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Carola,
    I've read Funny Boy before - not the others though. Thanks for the recommendations. I bought Left Hand of Darkness but I still haven't started the others :/.

    ReplyDelete